Mapping Methodism – Troon (Chapel Square) United Methodist Free Chapel

Categories Mapping Methodism0 Comments

Location of chapel on 1888 map

Troon is a large village, 1.5 miles south-east of Camborne. This profile of Troon (Chapel Square) United Methodist Free Chapel has been compiled by Suzanne Trythall.


1871: a breakaway group of Wesleyan Reformers (meeting in the original Wesleyan Chapel) obtained land from the Fortescue of Bodmin estate on the eastern side of the village and constructed a new and imposing chapel at a cost of £1,000. There was seating for 700 persons and the Sunday School was in the chapel.

1881: attendance on 10 April recorded as morning 209, afternoon 300 and evening 420.

186 sittings were let, not licensed for marriages, annual income £30.10s and £320 of debt still remained on building of chapel. The harmonium cost £25.

1898: The chapel was leased out by the Boconnoc Estate for sixty years at an annual rent of £1 to two Trustees – Charles Davies, assayer and Joseph Keverne, miner.

An agreement was drawn up for renovations to the chapel between the Trustees and Mr William Henry Moyle of Chacewater at a cost of £225. The architect was Sampson Hill of Redruth.

Chapel Square cottages (now demolished) and chapel. Photo courtesy of Eleanor Bowell.

1907: became known as Troon United Methodist Church

1932: re-named Troon Chapel Square Methodist Church

1939: Sunday School minutes record on 10 December the proposal to send a box of sweets and Christmas card to nine men who were past and present members serving in His Majesty’s Forces. This would cost 1s 6d.

14 June – the midsummer treat was postponed indefinitely

1940: Sunday School minutes of 25 June record £5.00 was offered to provide tea for evacuees

1950’s: chapel renovated and organ overhauled

1963: organ recital by Dudley Savage (BBC broadcaster) on 7 September, tickets 3s 6d for gallery seats and 2s 6d for a knife and fork tea prior to the recital

1967: Department for Chapel Affairs sanctioned sale of property on 23 October.

The Chapel Trust expressed its wish for the building to be demolished. The font was to go to Centenary Chapel Camborne and the organ to the Apostolic Church Porthleven.

1968: final service was held on Palm Sunday, the morning service taken by Clifford Parnell and the evening service by Rev Ronald Clemens. The congregation was united with Troon Methodist Church the following Easter Sunday. Membership was 56.

Buddle estate agents received two offers for demolition. Trustees accepted an offer of £650 from Dunstan Bros of Troon. The offer was then withdrawn as the company had concerns over safety of the building so close to a public right of way.

1969: Tom Bell, local farmer owning adjacent land, agreed to increase his offer to £650 on two conditions i) Trustees pay all legal costs ii) offer to be accepted without delay so he could deal with the dangerous roof. The extra cost was estimated at £17. The chapel was sold to Mr Bell who subsequently demolished it and built two bungalows on the site.

1970: on 27 April the final meeting was held with Rev Ronald Lees in the chair. Balance in Trustees Savings Bank £182 11s 6d, cash in hand £15 13s 10d. Proceeds of sale to go to Troon Methodist Church, less 1% to be paid to the Connexional Advance Fund.

The war memorial was moved to Troon Methodist Church

The chapel just prior to demolition. Photo courtesy of Mrs Eleanor Bowell.

Chapel partly demolished. Photo courtesy of Mrs Eleanor Bowell.

Photos 2022: bungalow was built on the site of the demolished chapel with original gateposts still in situ and the date stone inserted into the garden wall


Additional photos courtesy of David Thomas


Sources and further reading



  • Cornubian and Redruth Times (Find My Past)


Map: The National Library of Scotland


‘Echoes of an Age. The Story of Troon’ by David Oates


Kresen Kernow


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.