Manaccan is a civil parish and village on the Lizard peninsula in south Cornwall about five miles (8 km) south-southwest of Falmouth. This profile of Manaccan Wesleyan Chapel has been compiled by Terry Moyle.
Manaccan Chapel is situated about a mile out of Manaccan village at High Lanes where the first chapel was built in 1834.
June 1858 – annual tea of Manaccan Wesleyan Sunday School took place on Wednesday last. The children assembled in the chapel at Highlane and proceeded to the village of Manaccan and on to a field at Tregonwell. The children partook of tea in the tent and the evening service was conducted by the Rev. Dufferel of Helston.
March 1870 – members and friends of Manaccan Wesleyan chapel have raised by voluntary contributions a sum of money to purchase a harmonium and on Sunday last Mr. W. Smith presided at the harmonium and aided by a select few who are to contribute the choir gave ample evidence of future success.
September 1893 – The Temperance Committee of the Synod recommended an application from St. Keverne Circuit for a grant of £50towards paying off the debt of £100 on Manaccan Chapel.
December 1898 – the Manaccan Wesleyan schoolroom was crowded when a high- class concert was given by friends from Helston conducted by Mr. G. F. Bond. Mr. Bond accompanied throughout on a piano lent by Mr. Knowles of Condurrow. Mr. Hosking entertained the friends to tea and supper.
December 1905 – Mr. Edwin Rule of St. Keverne was returning from preaching at Manaccan Wesleyan chapel on Sunday with a friend when the trap overturned. Both gentlemen were thrown out but neither was injured.
July 1907 – Manaccan Wesleyan Sunday School teachers and scholars spent the day at Penzance. Mr. Trezise drove them in a Jersey car procured for the occasion. An outing of Manaccan Wesleyan Band of Hope took place on Thursday when Mullion was visited. The local Wesleyan friends granted them the use of their schoolroom for tea.
June 1908 – Manaccan Wesleyan Sunday School tea was held on Thursday last. The members of St. Martin Band wore their uniforms for the first time. The tea tables were presided over by Misses Mitchell, Knowles, Lyne, Vague and Hendy.
April 1911 – Manaccan Wesleyan Band of Hope held their April meeting presided over by Mr. Lyne. The tiny daughters of Mr. Sidney Williams delighted the audience with their recitations. Miss Sarah Richards also recited and Mr. Hedley Julian read a selection as did Miss Warren. Mr. L. Williams sang a solo and Misses Williams and Lyne and Messrs Lyne and Richards sang a quartette.
August 1912 – Manaccan Wesleyan Band of Hope and Temperance Society held their annual treat. About 200 took tea in the schoolroom. Sports followed in an adjoining field. St. martin band under Rev. T.L. Mugford rendered selections.
November 1912 – Mr. Charles Williams has sent 10/- in aid of a Christmas Bazaar which is being arranged by Manaccan Wesleyan chapel.
May 1913 – Manaccan Wesleyan Sunday School teachers decided to hold their annual tea on June 5th and engage St. Keverne Band for the occasion. Manaccan Band of Hope meeting on Monday was presided over by Mr. Cannicott. Vocal solos and duets were rendered by Misses Stanbury, Ada Hodge and Tresidder and Mr. Stansbury. Recitations were given by Phyllis Cannicott, Edward Carlyon and Sam Cannicott.
August 1913 – Manaccan Wesleyan Sunday School teachers, senior scholars and members of the choir held a picnic on Kestle Downs. Mr. Kitto placed his yacht at their disposal and trips were taken up and down the Helford River.
April 1923 – a successful bazaar in aid of Manaccan Wesleyan chapel funds has taken place. Rev. Joseph Birkbeck (St. Keverne) presided and Mr. W. J. Hoskin of Helston, an old Manaccan boy, declared the bazaar open. Mr. Sampson Rogers of Chicago, also an old Manaccan boy, sent £5. Mr. A. J. Hawke, M. P. and Mrs. Hawke were also present. Following the tea, half hour concerts were given. Mrs. Morkham and Mrs. Stanbury were the pianists and Mr. Roberts provided gramophone selections. The receipts were about £90.
May 1923 – St. Keverne Wesleyan Choir gave the sacred cantata “The Holy City” in Manaccan Wesleyan chapel last week. Rev. Joseph Birkbeck presided. The choir was entertained to supper, the tables being presided over by Mesdames R. Nicholls, J. Nicholls, W.G. Boaden and H. Morkam and Miss A. Nicholls.
June 1929 – the annual Wesleyan Circuit Rally was held at Manaccan Wesleyan chapel. The singing was led by the massed choirs of St. keverne, St. Martin, Coverack and Manaccan chapels. Miss Miriam Martin (St. Keverne) was the soloist and Mrs. H. Morkam the organist. Rev. A. Brockbank of Camborne was the afternoon preacher and in the evening the Revs. Brockbank and G.T. Peet (St. Keverne).
November 1931 – the were large congregations at the opening of the new organ by Mrs. E.G. Courtis of Helston at Manaccan Wesleyan chapel. There was a luncheon in the schoolroom presided over by Mr. W.J. Johns (Helston), Major the Honourable Ulick Colborne-Vivian of Bosahan, Rev. F. Chenalls Williams (St. Keverne superintendent minister) and Mr. W. T. Lyne (Kestle Barton). The luncheon tables were presided over by Mesdames T. Rogers, J. Williams, E. Lyne, H. Cowls, S. Williams, E. Williams, J. I. Williams, J. Nicholls, G. Boaden, T. Hocking, J. Curnow, E. Day, T. Richards, W. Peters, R. Cannicott, J. Richards, R. Nicholls and P. Williams and Misses K. Williams, D. Lyne and C. Mitchell. An organ recital was given by Mr. C. Wood of Manchester and a service was conducted by Rev. Ralph Williams of Redruth. Following tea, an evening services was presided over by Mr. J.P.A. Harvey of Lowertown. The treasurer, Mr. E. Williams, reported that £375 was required for the organ and that £368-16s-8d had been raised. The Manaccan congregation was congratulated on its efforts.
November 1934 – Manaccan and St. Anthony British Legion held a parade service at Manaccan Wesleyan chapel headed by St. Martin Band.
March 1935 – a bazaar in Manaccan Wesleyan Sunday School was opened by Mrs. John Nicholls of Penryn. Mr. Richard Cannicott (Helford) was presented with a long service certificate having been connected with the Sunday School for 46 years. There were stalls and musical items by the Treverva Quartette.
June 1939 – Manaccan Chapel Sunday School celebrated its 100th anniversary. The preacher was Mr. David Foot Nash of Plymouth who presented certificates to Mr. S. Williams for 50 year’s work in the Sunday School and to Miss C. Mitchell of Helford for 35 years work. He also presented leather book – marks to the teachers and scholars inscribed “Manaccan Sunday School celebrations 1839-1939”.
June 1947 – on a visit to his 80 year old mother at Helford is Mr. W. C. Cannicott of Oak park, near Chicago. Mr. Cannicott emigrated 30 years ago. He conducted the services at Manaccan chapel on Sunday – there were large attendances at both services and Dr. Curzon-Miller (Gillan) and Miss. M. Williams were the organists.
April 1948 – the death occurred at Sevorgan of Mr. Thomas Richards aged 91. He had previously farmed at Helford and had been Sunday School superintendent and class leader at Manaccan chapel for many years.
25 January 1951 – At the re-opening of Manaccan Methodist Church the children presented the key, a bouquet and button – holes to those officiating at the ceremony.
4 February 1954 – Two well know figures in Methodist circles were married at Manaccan Methodist Church. Miss Muriel Ida Williams of Gillywartha and Mr. Richard Thomas of Halvose, Helford. The bridegroom is a local preacher and the bride the deputy organist and choir member at Manaccan. The Rev. H. garner (St. Keverne) officiated and Dr. Curzon-Miller was the organist.
12 May 1960 – the obituary for James Williams of Landrivack aged 51 who died suddenly on 10th May. Funeral service on Friday 13th May at Manaccan Methodist Church
August 1958 – 34 Guides of the 16th Harrow Company held their fortnight camp at Helford and sang at services in Manaccan chapel.
August 1978 – Manaccan Methodist Church has suffered a loss with the death of Mrs. Ida Williams of Gillywartha. Mrs. Williams had been associated with the chapels at St. Anthony and Manaccan for half a century and was the widow of Mr. John Williams a local preacher.
October 1981 – Manaccan Methodist Church harvest festival was held at the weekend and £310 was raised for church funds. Rev. James Hardwick (St. Keverne) conducted the services and Mrs. Mary Bloomfield, one of the Sunday School superintendents, received the children’s gifts.
November 1982 – Members of Helston and St. Keverne Young Farmers Club joined in the harvest festival at Manaccan Methodist Church. The young farmers brought produce and Mr. David Lugg of Cury led the service. Members of St. Martin Methodist Church attended the service.
July 1999 – the funeral of Mrs. Muriel Ida Thomas aged 79 took place recently at Manaccan Methodist Church. Her husband, Richard,a local preacher died a year ago. She was a lifelong Methodist, was the organist at Manaccan for some years, a choir member and a Sunday School teacher.
April 1995 – the morning service at Manaccan Methodist Church was conducted by Mr. Ray Wearne of Helston who sang a solo. The organist was Mrs. Trevis Nicholls.
Helston Packet 6 February 2008
Closure of chapel sets off a big row
The two congregations of St. Martin and Manaccan Methodist chapels officially joined to become Meneage Methodists in September 2004 and have been alternating between the two chapels a month at a time. The closure of St. Martin chapel has “created uproar in the village”. The reasons for closing St. Martin chapel were based on rising maintenance costs and a dwindling congregation. Manaccan chapel was in a better condition and was more adaptable to suit future needs. This was disputed by some St. Martin members.
The result of this was that some St. Martin members did not attend Meneage Methodist Church.
May 2012 – Rev. Steven Wild, the Chairman of the Cornwall Methodist District, took the service at Meneage Methodist Church.
Helston Packet 16 March 2021
A Methodist Church on the Lizard Peninsula is to close this summer, a decision that has left church leaders deeply saddened. At a meeting of the Meneage Methodist Church Council it was agreed to close the chapel at the end of August. The chapel building has not been used for some time with services being held in the adjacent hall.
As of September onwards no services will be held there but it is hoped that midweek community activities will continue to meet. A final service of thanksgiving will be held in August before the chapel closes at the end of the Methodist Year on 31st August.
Following the closure of Meneage Methodist Church members joined either with the congregations at the United Methodist Church in St. Keverne or at Central Methodist Church, Helston.
Old and New Manaccan
Edwardian tea treat at Manaccan
Manaccan Chapel 1970s
Old and New Manaccan 1970s sketch
Source – Helston Packet 16 March 2021