St Just, known as St Just in Penwith, is the most westerly town in mainland Britain and is situated approximately 8 miles (13 km) west of Penzance. This profile of St Just Bible Christian Chapel has been compiled by Jo Lewis and Tony Mansell.
The First Chapel
This first Bible Christian Chapel was in Fore Street and is the double fronted building, still standing and currently up for sale, on the right-hand side of Fore Street as one enters St Just. I would suspect that the Bible Christians may have continued to use it as a Sunday School after the Queen Street chapel was erected. Later on, some St Just residents referred to it as the old St Just telephone exchange. (David Thomas, Kresen Kernow)
The 1842 Chapel
A Bible Christian chapel, Queen Street and its associated Sunday school is recorded on the 1st and 2nd Editions of the 1:2500 1880 and 1907 OS Maps. Opened in 1842, later enlarged. Rendered three bay front with small, raised pediment. Derelict 1969 and since demolished. Listed in Stell (b1). (Cornwall Heritage Gateway)
The Bible Christians had a chapel in Bosorne Street. It was enlarged in 1859. It closed in 1960 – one hundred years after a revival had seen a St. Just Circuit separated from Penzance. It is now demolished. (A Dictionary of Methodism)
The Bible Christian Chapel was at the south end of Queen Street and is shown on old maps.
Built as a Bible Christian chapel. (SWChurches)
1842: Opened. (Cornwall Heritage Gateway)
The spot on which the Chapel stands was procured for a term of 999 years and was large enough to erect two comfortable dwellings at its end; one of which was intended for the married Preacher, when built; and all of which is legally made to the Connexion.
The Chapel was forty feet square, without; and the walls are about twenty-four feet high, built with the best of materials, and is well fitted out within, with a gallery in front, with four rows of seats which will contain about eighty persons comfortably.
In the 1851 return it said that it was founded in 1844 and had seats for 500. James Roberts was the steward.
1859: Enlarged. (A Dictionary of Methodism)
1898: Chapel renovated. (Cornishman – Thursday 11 August 1898)
1907: The Methodist New Connexion, Bible Christians and United Methodist Free Churches amalgamated to become the United Methodist Church.
1907: Became Queen Street United Methodist Church. (SWChurches)
Part of St Just United Methodist Circuit. (SWChurches)
1932: The Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist and the United Methodist Church amalgamated to become the Methodist Church of Great Britain.
1932: Became Queen Street Methodist Church. (SWChurches)
Part of St Just Methodist Circuit from 1932. The chapel closed and was sold in 1961. (SWChurches)
Harvest festival inside the Queen Street Bible Christian Chapel at St just( Photo: Steve Waite) However, there has been some debate as to whether this was Queen Street or the St Just Free Church.
1960: Closed. (A Dictionary of Methodism)
By 1969 it was derelict.
Demolished. (A Dictionary of Methodism)
Replaced by housing.