The Fowey Chapels have been profiled by Jo Lewis and Tony Mansell.
(Photo: Jo Lewis)
The United Methodist chapel on Lostwithiel Street is now disused. Late C19. Dressed granite front; dry slate roof with pierced and crested clay ridge tiles; steep pyramidal tower roof with courses of fish scale slates. Robust Gothic style with pointed arches, hoodmoulds and string courses. 2-storey front gable end has tripartite stepped window with traceried head to 2-light centre. Entrance tower on the left has machicolated cornice, buttress on the right. Low stone forecourt wall with late C20 railings. (Heritage Gateway)
Thought to have previously been Fowey Congregational Chapel.
The early Fowey Congregational Chapel was on Bull Hill, accessed via a flight of stone steps at the very southern end of North Street. Its exact location is likely to be where the present blue house is placed, as this is in line with the (now-former) bank on Fore Street. The chapel was built in 1797 and at some point it was also known as Mount Zion Independent Chapel (probably at the beginning). It was replaced by a new chapel on Lostwithiel Street in 1887.
The Congregational Chapel in Lostwithiel street was erected in 1887 at a cost of £1,500. It replaced the earlier building on Bull Hill and is an edifice of stone, with a turret, and will seat 250 persons
Records for the Congregational chapel continue to 1975 when the chapel was taken over by the United Reform church.
1977: The congregation from the Wesleyan Chapel moved to here. (Revd David Easton, Methodist Historian)
1978: There is evidence of a sharing agreement between Fowey United Reformed Church and Fowey Methodist Church as they churches merged to become the Fowey United Church.
1993: Closed. (Revd David Easton, Methodist Historian)
Converted into flats.