Morvah is a village on the Penwith Peninsula. Jo Lewis and Tony Mansell have compiled this profile of Morvah Wesleyan Chapel.
There are places of worship for Bryanites and Wesleyans; and a boys’ school, chiefly supported by subscription. (Morvah Cornwall Family History Guide
There was a Wesleyan Methodist chapel in the Churchtown; this was opened in 1810. There also used to be a Bible Christian chapel in the parish but this was altered to become a Board school before 1883. (Genuki)
Small Bible Christian chapel, unusually converted to Board school in 1882, now used as store. Good vernacular example but the front end altered for insertion of large doorway. Listed in Stell (b1). (Heritage Gateway)
Before 1833: Chapel described as being altered before 1833. Either a mistake and should be 1883 to become a board school or there was an earlier chapel.
1848 A Bryanite chapel is described in the Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis but it is not mentioned in the 1851 return. It seems likely that the chapel existed but, perhaps, was not registered.
1871: Possible build date.
1881: Lease, Morvah School Board. A draft lease of a plot of ground with chapel at Morvah parish. (Kresen Kernow SBMOH/3/1)
1882: The date plaque on the building states board school.
1882: The building was converted to a mixed board school at a cost of about £200. It was for 58 children with an average attendance of 33.
1887: Map continues to show it as a chapel.
Unknown date for school closure.
It is now a holiday home, part of Merthyr Farm cottages.
2003: Photographs, chapels and churches, West Penwith. Photo montage display compiled by Mr Doug Luxford, St Just for summer pilgrimage visit of the Cornish Methodist Historical Association. Photographs of Morvah Parish Church and Zennor Parish Church and following chapels: Zennor Wesleyan Chapel, 1865; Morvah Bible Christian Chapel, 1871; Morvah Wesleyan Chapel, 1866; Morvah first Wesleyan chapel, 1766; Porthmeor Wesleyan Chapel, Zennor, 1839; Bojewyan Wesleyan Chapel, 1841; Boscaswell Bible Christian Chapel, 1840; Trewellard Bible Christian Chapel, 1843; Trewellard Wesleyan Chapel, 1833; Carnyorth Wesleyan Reform Union Chapel, 1886; Botallack Wesleyan Chapel, 1845, St Just in Penwith. Also Rosemergy farm, Morvah. Summer 2003. (Kresen Kernow MRWP/21.