Hayle is a port town at the mouth of the Hayle River and is approximately seven miles (11 km) northeast of Penzance. This profile of Hayle Highlanes Bible Christian Chapel has been compiled by Jo Lewis and Tony Mansell.
The chapel sat on a site opposite what is now Hayle Academy.
A Bible Christian Chapel is recorded here on the 1877 1st Edition OS map. The building is not recorded on the modern Mastermap (2006). (Cornwall Heritage Gateway)
The Chapel may have had its origins as one of John Boyle’s Societies. He was Wesleyan minister and founder of an independent circuit that became part of the Bible Christian network in West Cornwall. In 1802 he desisted ‘of his own accord’ and retired to Porth Kea, Truro, opened a boarding school and began to preach there on Sundays. His followers seem to have been known simply as ‘Mr. Boyle’s community’, unless they included the ‘Free Willers’ who built a preaching house in Phillack, Hayle in 1818.
The Checklist of Churches in the Hayle Circuit on 31st August 1961 includes this chapel.
Highlanes Bible Christian Chapel (Photo: courtesy David Philp)
1869: Build date. (Checklist of Churches in the Hayle Circuit on 31st August 1961)
Built as a Bible Christian Chapel. (SWChurches)
Replaced the 1844 Chapel. (Checklist of Churches in the Hayle Circuit on 31st August 1961)
1899: Hayle: “The annual festival of the Highlanes Bible Christian Sunday-school was held on Saturday afternoon. After perambulating the town, accompanied by the Hayle Town Band, tea was provided in a field…” (29 June 1899 – The Cornish Telegraph)
Pre-1907: Sunday school built.
1907: The Methodist New Connexion, Bible Christians and United Methodist Free Churches amalgamated to become the United Methodist Church.
1907: Became a United Methodist Church. (SWChurches)
1932: The Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist and the United Methodist Church amalgamated to become the Methodist Church of Great Britain.
1932: Became Highlanes Methodist Church. (SWChurches)
1940: Seating for 250. (David Easton, Methodist Minister and historian)
1968: Closed. (David Easton, Methodist Minister and historian / Checklist of Churches in the Hayle Circuit on 31st August 1961)
Demolished and replaced by housing. (David Easton, Methodist Minister and historian)
1970s: A new church built to replace Highlanes, Foundry, Mount Pleasant and Copperhouse chapels, near to the site of the former Mount Pleasant Chapel.