Trevarth is a hamlet between Carharrack and Lanner. Its Wesleyan chapel dates from sometime during the mid-19th century. This profile has been compiled by Jo Lewis and Tony Mansell using information provided by Barrie May of Carharrack.
From Lanner take the left turn signposted Trevarth. Following the road into the village, the chapel was on the right, just after where the road turns north.
Trevarth Wesleyan Methodist chapel is recorded on the 1st and 2nd Edition 1:2500 1880 and 1907 Maps. The chapel has been converted to a dwelling which is shown as ‘Penvale’ on the current Mastermap. (Cornwall Council Heritage Gateway)
23 Aug 1862: Assignment of lease, Trevarth Wesleyan Chapel, Gwennap. Parties: 1) Thomas Bawden. 2) John Whitburn and others, Trustees. 3) Reverend James Mitchell. School house and premises, Trevarth. Term: 99 years. (Kresen Kernow MRR/1464)
1862: The lease for the schoolroom implies that the Sunday school was built at the same time as the chapel or that the chapel existed earlier and the school was added.
Mid-19th century: Trevarth Wesleyan Chapel built in Trevarth Road towards Lanner.
1862: Probable build date. (SWChurches / Kresen Kernow)
Built as a Wesleyan chapel. (SWChurches)
1903: “The re-opening services in connection with Trevarth Chapel took place under very successful circumstances… The chapel has been thoroughly renovated. The walls and all interior woodwork have been painted, and a wooden dado placed around. Matting has been laid on the floor, and a splendid new centre lamp hung…” (West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser – Thursday 10 December 1903)
1906: Photograph of Trevarth Wesley Chapel Sunday School at their tea treat. Paddy Bradley / http://cornishmemory.com/item/BRA_8_026)
1907: Insurance policy, Trevarth Wesleyan Chapel, Gwennap. Employers’ indemnity insurance. (Kresen Kernow MRR/1465)
1920: Memorandum of appointment, new trustees, Trevarth Wesleyan Chapel, Gwennap. (Kresen Kernow MRR/1466)
Circa 1920: Trevarth Wesleyan Chapel closed
1929: Closure. (SWChurches)
1929: Copy consent, sale of Trevarth Wesleyan Chapel, Gwennap. Consent from President of Wesleyan Methodist Conference. (Kresen Kernow MRR/1467)
It would seem that the chapel was converted to a dwelling.
“I now live in the old Chapel in Trevarth near Lanner. (Chris Dunstone, Cornish Methodist Historical Association)