Mapping Methodism – Mullion Wesleyan Chapel

Categories Mapping Methodism, Projects0 Comments

Mullion is a village on the Lizard Peninsula. The nearest town is Helston approximately five miles to the north. This profile of Mullion Wesleyan Chapel has been compiled by Terry Moyle.


John Wesley visited Mullion on 7 September 1762

Society already existed at Angrouse

Source – Methodism in Mullion (Ivor Thomas)

Leader was Ursula Triggs, the wife of Thomas Triggs, farmer.

She died in 1794 and had been the leader of the Mullion Society for 36 years

Cornwall West Circuit No. 18 Society in Mullion June 24th 1767 – 44 members on the list

1785 – Mullion Society of 45 members in the St. Ives Wesleyan Circuit

1791 – first chapel built (location unknown)

William Foxwell – leader of Mullion Methodist Society 1791-1837

1815 – chapel built on his land

1828 and 1833 Wesleyan Methodist Preaching Plan – Helston Circuit – evening Sunday service and in 1833 a Wednesday evening service in addition

First baptism 1837

1837-1900 52 baptisms

Family names associated with baptisms – Willey, Thomas, Shepherd, James, Lukey, Hendy, George, Gilbert, Green and Matthews

1840 – new Wesleyan Chapel built at Tremenhee

Source – Methodism in Mullion (Ivor Thomas)

This reflected the split in Mullion Methodism

Theophilus George left the WMA Chapel at Chapel Place and “crossed the road” to the new

Wesleyan Chapel. He was the grandson of Theophilus George who was a member of the Mullion Society in 1767

New chapel – capacity 380 including 150 in the gallery

By 1882 a floor had been put into the chapel at gallery level to create a schoolroom on the ground floor.

June 1882 – Mullion Wesleyan Sunday School anniversary services were conducted by Mr. Penhale of Penryn. Next day the teachers and scholars met at the chapel in the afternoon and walked to the cliffs where tea was served. In the evening a public service was held.

1876 – 50 members

Money collected by the UK Wesleyan Church including Mullion paid for the building of a lifeboat station at Mullion Cove in 1867 – Lifeboat named in memory of Rev. Daniel J. Draper (Wesleyan Missionary)

November 1898 – Missionary sermons were preached in Mullion Wesleyan Chapel on Sunday by Mr. Lander of Helston

1882 and 1893 pew rent records – list of names – Willey and Hendy in particular

September 1899 – Mr. W. Hall of Helston preached at Harvest Thanksgiving services at Mullion Wesleyan Chapel. The place was tastefully decorated. On Monday a large number took tea and at the evening service addresses were given by Rev. C. Baskerville and W. Saywell.

1899 – freehold of the Wesleyan Chapel conveyed to William Willey by Lord Robartes

May 1903 – a Service of Song was held at Mullion Wesleyan Chapel

June 1903 – the Trustees of Mullion Wesleyan Chapel wish to improve the present building which dates back to 1840. It is intended to cement the walls, put up new railings and gates, erect an organ loft and choir gallery to provide increased accommodation, improve ventilation and put in new windows. There is to be a bazaar in the autumn in aid of the funds. The cost is estimated to be £200.

Cornishman 28 January 1904 – At the re-opening services at Mullion Wesleyan Chapel sermons were preached by Re. William Slack, Chairman of the District. On Monday afternoon a service was taken by Rev. F. E. Blake. A public tea was provided served by Mesdames R. Hendy, A. Hutchens, Lukey, S. Hendy, c. Kingsley, F. Thomas and E. Munday and Misses Lizzie Gilbert, F. Hendy, T. Roberts, E. and S. Rule. At the public meeting in the evening the choir rendered an anthem. The structural improvements – main front plastered and ornamented with fluted pilasters, the south-west side plastered and in the west end a new organ chamber and choir stalls have been built while all the windows have been fitted with cathedral glass. A beautifully designed tiled porch by Carter & Co. of Poole has a pleasing affect, taking the place of an unsightly slope. A new ventilator has been installed in the roof. On the south side a beautifully covered in stairway leads to the chapel. The whole interior has been completely varnished and painted and thoroughly renovated. The Wesleyan Society should feel proud on the great improvement which has cost about £200.

Wesleyan Sunday School larger than the Sunday School of the UM Chapel though the UM Society was bigger.

Sunday School concert in March or April held in the Reading Room

Tea Treat in July – in 1905 music provided by Constantine Band.

October 1906 – collection in aid of the Royal Cornwall Infirmary, Truro. The preacher was the Rev. Joseph Higham of St. Keverne

November 1906 – The proceeds of the bazaar held on Feast Monday on behalf of Trust funds amounted to £14.

Choir 15-20 members

Organists Jeffrey Hendy & Theodora Hendy with Enid Rowe, Vera Mundy and Nora Newton as deputies.

Fred Harry of Mullion Band played the cornet to accompany the singing at services

Sunday School Anniversary held in June – popular preacher was Miss A. G. Carkeek of Hayle.

On her first visit there were too many people for the Wesleyan Chapel so the service moved to the bigger UM Chapel and continued to be held there in subsequent years

Source – Methodism in Mullion (Ivor Thomas)

July 1912 – Sunday School Anniversary services were conducted by Miss Carkeek of Hayle who is becoming increasingly popular in the district.

May 1913 – the funeral of Ada Body aged 12, the daughter of Mr. Body HM Coastguard Mullion was held at Mullion Wesleyan Chapel. The coffin was borne to and through the village by Coastguards of Mullion Station and then by the boys of the Sunday School to the new cemetery

June 1922 – a collection in aid of the Miners’ Relief Fund amounted to £1-10s-0d

August 1923 – St. Austell Wesleyan Choir visited Mullion Cove and the Lizard in two large charabancs and the Mullion Wesleyan Sunday School was placed at their disposal

As the Wesleyan Chapel was the smaller building, closure was inevitable with Methodist Union

Final service – 31st December 1933 conducted by John Lugg of Helston

1936 – building became Methodist hall

1959 – became Methodist Youth Hostel – opened 23rd March 1960

After the Youth Hostel closed in 1974 the building was used by the Mullion Evergreen Club and the Youth Club

Now converted into flats


Photographs – Mullion Wesleyan Tea Treat and Sports 1925

William Roberts & Dick Exelby at the high jump posts

Acknowledgement – “Methodism in Mullion” – Ivor Thomas pub 1980 Headland Printers, Penzance for some factual information and the photographs accordingly labelled.









Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.