Wheal Rose is a village near Scorrier and is in the Redruth and St Agnes parishes. The profile of Wheal Rose Bible Christian Chapel has been compiled by Clive Benney and Tony Mansell.
From the report that follows, it is clear that Wheal Rose had a preaching House by 1799 but where, we do not know.
1799: Wheal Rose was touched by the 1799 revival. The circuit minister reported, “The beginning of the revival at Wheal Rose was very singular. A young girl had been in great distress for many hours and would not rest until the Lord spoke peace to her soul. The day after, she went to her work, but her companions began to mock her, on account of the distress she felt; but so far from being discouraged, she immediately kneeled down and prayed for her persecutors. Her prayers were answered: the hand of God laid hold on them; many of them cried aloud for mercy, and continued so to do till one of our friends came by, and took the distressed into Wheal Rose preaching house, where they continued, with many more who assembled with them, until daylight next morning, during which time many found peace with God.” (UK Wells)
1824: Chapel build date.
The chapel was simply adorned and comprised a single room for services and Sunday school classes.
Built as a Bible Christian chapel. (SWChurches)
Wayside Bible Christian chapel, now used as store. Mid-late C19. Killas rubble with granite dressings and brick arches; original scantle slate roof. Round arched openings; doorway altered, right of centre to front side elevation. 2 windows to gable end facing the road, all windows sheeted over. (Cornwall Heritage Gateway)
During its life as a place or worship it was also known as Ebenezer Chapel, Rose Chapel, United Methodist Chapel and Wheal Rose Methodist Chapel.
4 Jun 1834: Assignment, Ebenezer Bible Christian Chapel, Wheal Rose, St Agnes. Parties: 1) Thomas Nankivell, mine agent, of St Agnes; Richard Nankivell, stone cutter, of St Issey; and Edward Nankivell, miner, of Perranzabuloe. 2) Trustees of Ebenezer Bible Christian Chapel. Assignment and declaration of trusts. Parcel of land in St Agnes with Ebenezer Bible Christian Chapel. Recites lease of 8 September 1829. Consideration: £14 14 shillings. (Kresen Kernow MRMRC/131)
1881: “Wheal Rose Wesleyan Chapel. Sir, l have recently seen some remarks in your paper, written Mr. John Bawden, respecting the great improvement in the attendance at the Wesleyan Chapel at this place, and the excessive demand for sitting accommodation, which cannot be met. Allow me to say that at the last monthly prayer meeting there were present only four males and one female; and, in order to make those meetings more attractive in future, it was suggested that the choir be invited to attend * in the hope that music might accomplish what prayer had failed to do. Wheal Rose. Yours, &c., X.” (Cornubian and Redruth Times – Friday 11 March 1881)
1904: Chapel renovated. (Cornubian and Redruth Times – Saturday 31 December 1904)
1907: The Methodist New Connexion, Bible Christians and United Methodist Free Churches amalgamated to become the United Methodist Church.
1907: Became a United Methodist chapel. (SWChurches)
Wheal Rose Bible Christian Tea Treat c. 1912 (Photo: Govier courtesy Clive Benney)
Tea treat processions were led by a brass band down to Williams’ Creamery (almost to Scorrier) and then to the field adjacent to the Chapel. Occasionally, the event was held in the garden of Rose House, a 16-acre farm with an impressive house and a large kitchen garden which must have been a superb setting for the event.
1932: The Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist and the United Methodist Church amalgamated to become the Methodist Church of Great Britain.
1932: Presumably became a Methodist chapel.
Seating for 200. (David Easton, Methodist Minister and historian)
1935: The Chapel closed. (David Easton, Methodist Minister and historian)
Circa 1937: Closed. (SWChurches)
1937: Permission given to sell it.
It was subsequently used as a store and a workshop.
2020 (Photo: Tony Mansell)
2020 (Photo: Tony Mansell)