Geor or Gear is located on a minor road between Burncoose and Stithians. This profile of Burncoose Wesleyan Chapel has been compiled by Jo Lewis and Tony Mansell.
From Comford, follow the A393 south taking a right turn just before Burncoose, and then follow the road to take a left (Signposted Stithians). Follow the road and the chapel is on the right marked with a plaque (1861) on the building that is now a garage.
Wesleyan wayside chapel, now converted to house and much altered from its original appearance. (Cornwall Council Heritage Gateway)
Not to be confused with Gear Chapel in Madron.
1839: There are recorded baptisms so there was possibly an earlier chapel.
1864: Lease for waste ground on the Gillyvean Estate to be used to build a Wesleyan Chapel. (https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/37a99d54-0ee5-4fed-88e7)
1864: Build date. (Cornwall Council Heritage Gateway)
Wesleyan Chapel. (David Easton, Methodist Minister and historian)
1878 (surveyed) / 1888 (published) Appears on map: https://maps.nls.uk/view/101439275
1883: “REDRUTH. Great improvements have been made at Gear Wesleyan Chapel, where there is a small but united society. The old pulpit has been replaced by an artistic rostrum, which, by the way, reflects great credit on the builders, Messrs. Hellings and Peters, of Stithians. The chapel has been thoroughly cleaned within and without, and some pews added…” (Royal Cornwall Gazette – Friday 13 July 1883)
1910: Kelly’s directory notes a Wesleyan chapel at Gear.
1911: Seating for 116: (David Easton, Methodist Minister and historian)
Closure date unknown.
Converted to a dwelling. (David Easton, Methodist Minister and historian)
The chapel is now beautifully converted into a residential property.
(Photo: Jo Lewis 2021)