Chacewater is a village and civil parish in Cornwall, situated approximately 3 miles (4.8 km) east of Redruth. This profile of Chacewater Wesleyan Chapel has been compiled by Jo Lewis and Tony Mansell.
Large Wesleyan chapel with rear schoolroom (1832). Chapel part altered 1905. Classical style with front pediment and round arches; quoin and jamb rustication; central elvan doorcase with flat arch. Schoolroom retains original sash windows. Galleried interior of chapel not inspected. (Cornwall Council Interactive Map)
1832: Chacewater Wesleyan Chapel built. (Genuki / Cornwall Council Heritage Gateway)
There was a Wesleyan Methodist chapel here built in 1832, another was built by the Primitive Methodists, and one for the Bible Christians. (Genuki)
SWChurches gives the build date as 1844 but this is thought to be incorrect.
Chacewater Wesleyan Chapel had seating for 460. (David Easton)
Turning into Station road, this large old chapel can be found on the left (Photo: Jo Lewis 2021)
1876: “The Chacewater Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was reopened on Sunday last, having been closed for two months for the purpose of painting, decorating, and the erection of a new rostrum, and singing pew. The design was furnished gratuitously by Mr. James Phillips, … The material is pitch pine varnished, and the cappings are polished mahogany. Mr. Phillips justly merits and receives the praise and thanks of the committee appointed to carry the matter forward, and the congregation worshipping in the place, for its choice, symmetry, and beauty. The painting and decorating of the chapel was let by contract, to Mr. W. H. Harris, to whom the committee has tendered a hearty vote of thanks for the taste and neatness he has displayed in the choice of colours, the quality of the material used in the work, and for the prompt and able manner in which he has carried it out, which has given general satisfaction. (Royal Cornwall Gazette – Saturday 18 November 1876)
1880: New organ was installed. (Jo Lewis)
1905: “The renovation of Chacewater Wesleyan Chapel has been extensive and thorough. (Royal Cornwall Gazette – Thursday 03 August 1905)
1932: The Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist and the United Methodist Church amalgamated to become the Methodist Church of Great Britain.
1932: Re-named Chacewater Station Road Methodist Chapel.
1924-1958: Trust minutes, Station Road Methodist Church, Chacewater. (Kresen Kernow MRT/523)
1958-1977: Trust minutes, Station Road Methodist Church, Chacewater. (Kresen Kernow MRT/524)
Circa 1978: The congregations of Chacewater East End Chapel (formerly Primitive Methodist) and Chacewater Station Road Methodist Chapel (formerly Wesleyan) amalgamated and met in the Station Road Methodist Chapel. (SWChurches)
Part of Truro Methodist Circuit.
1899-1978: Trust minutes, Station Road Methodist Church, Chacewater. Minutes of trustees’ meetings, 1899-1924. At back, minutes of annual society meetings, 1925-1978. (Kresen Kernow MRT/522)
1935-1978: Minutes, Leaders’ meetings, Station Road Methodist Church, Chacewater. (Kresen Kernow MRT/525)
2001: Chacewater Station Road Methodist Chapel considered unsafe and temporarily closed. (SWChurches)
2001: The Chacewater Methodists met in Chacewater Village Hall.
2002: Chacewater Station Road Methodist Chapel closed and worship transferred to the Village Hall. (David Easton)
Repairs were carried out to Chacewater Station Road Methodist Chapel and alteration schemes were being considered. (SWChurches)
2008: It was decided to sell the Station Road Methodist Chapel. (SWChurches)
The building was converted to flats.
Chacewater Methodist Church: https://www.joinmychurch.com/churches/Chacewater-Methodist-Church-Truro-Cornwall-United-Kingdom/326386
The Methodist Church meets in the Village Hall
2008: Chacewater Methodist Church meet in the Village Hall.
Located in Church Hill
Chacewater Village Hall where the Methodist congregation meet (Photo: Jo Lewis 2021)