Mapping Methodism – Redruth Calvinistic Methodist (Jack’s Splat) ChapelCategories Mapping Methodism, Projects0 Comments
This profile of Redruth Calvinistic Methodist (Jack’s Splat) Chapel has been compiled by Jo Lewis and Tony Mansell.
Site of a Post Medieval yard, known as Jack’s Splatt (Jack’s Platt) and Coulson’s Meadow. This yard was used for fairs and travelling theatre performances. The site has since been developed as the Post Office. Mapped using second edition OS mapping (1). (Cornwall Council Heritage Gateway)
The Cornwall industrial settlements initiative notes the market site – Jack Splat Market, Chapel and houses (pre-1809). This was directly opposite the later railway station.
The Anglican clergyman and Methodist preacher, George Whitefield visited Redruth and was followed by several of the Countess of Huntingdon’s preachers. https://dmbi.online/index.php?do=app.entry&id=2272
George Whitefield acted as chaplain to Selina, Countess of Huntingdon, and some of his followers joined the Countess of Huntingdon Connexion, whose chapels were built by Selina, where a form of Calvinistic Methodism similar to Whitefield’s was taught. (Wikipedia)
By about 1775 a Calvinistic Methodist chapel was established in Jack’s Platt. Redruth seems to have nurtured some of the more freethinking elements of Cornish Methodism. https://dmbi.online/index.php?do=app.entry&id=2272
1879: Jack’s Splat shown on map but no chapel is indicated. (old.maps.co.uk)