Mapping Methodism – Trispen Wesleyan chapel

Categories Mapping Methodism, Projects0 Comments

Trispen is a village between Truro and Carland cross. This profile of Trispen Wesleyan Chapel has been compiled by Jo Lewis and Tony Mansell.


Wesleyan chapel, plus later schoolroom at rear. Stone walls but now rendered except for dressed granite quoins and jamb stones, hipped roof. Two-window front end has round-arched doorway with panelled doors and intersecting glazing bars to fanlight, square-headed sashes. Interior not inspected but presumed to have end gallery. Brick and granite forecourt walls, wrought-iron railings. Listed in Stell (b1). (Cornwall Council Heritage Gateway)


1803 Chapel

1803: Wesleyan chapel build date. (SWChurches)


1846 Chapel

Trispen Wesleyan Chapel (Photo: Jo Lewis 2021)

1846: Wesleyan chapel build date assumed on the same site as the 1803 chapel. (SWChurches)

1846: Build date. (Cornwall Council Heritage Gateway)

The Sunday School was added later, with a three-stall stable underneath to accommodate the horses used by the local preachers as well as members attending services. (SWChurches)

Circa 1887: Wall built around the forecourt. (SWChurches)

1894: Dado added to the interior. (SWChurches)

1897: American Estey organ installed. Mrs FJ Parsons purchased the American organ, which was later loaned to Lane Methodist Church in the Newquay circuit.

1900: Coal stove installed for heating.

1907: Hot water system installed.

1929: Pipe organ installed.

1932: The Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist and the United Methodist Church amalgamated to become the Methodist Church of Great Britain.

1932: Became Trispen Methodist Church.

Part of Truro Methodist Circuit.

Oil lamps were used for lighting until electricity became available.

Circa 1958: Memories of Mr F J Parsons, Trispen Methodist Church, St Erme. Typed notes. Mr Francis John Parsons’ memories of the chapel and people associated with it, from about 1885 when his family moved to Trispen until about 1958. He was a local preacher in the Truro circuit. Describes improvements to the chapel premises and names people associated with the society as members, organists, caretakers and other office holders over the years. (Kresen Kernow MRT/1519)

24 Oct 1975: Invitation, re-dedication of Trispen Methodist Church, St Erme. Chapel re-opened and dedicated. (Kresen Kernow MRT/1104)

1975: Chapel reopened and rededicated – presumably after redecoration.

1948-1975: Minutes, Guild, Trispen Methodist Church, St Erme. (Kresen Kernow MRT/1105)

Other papers held by Kresen Kernow:|UK|392

Trispen Wesleyan Chapel (Photo: Barry West)

(Photo: Barry West)

(Photo: Barry West)

(Photo: Barry West)

A set of photographs by Barry West – added January 2023

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.