Rosudgeon is a hamlet in the civil parish of Perranuthnoe on the A394 Penzance to Helston road. This profile of Rosudgeon Bible Christian Chapel has been compiled by Jo Lewis and Tony Mansell.
On Prussia Cove Road SW5529, opposite the recreation ground.
Rosudgeon Bible Christian chapel, later used as Sunday school and then as a pottery (Photo: Jo Lewis)
Wayside Bible Christian chapel, now used as pottery. Granite rubble with granite moorstone dressings under a half-hipped scantle slate roof. Very good vernacular example with 2-window front side with central round-arched doorway and 12-pane sash windows. Rubble perimeter walls and granite gate-piers. Became Sunday school in 1904 on construction of new chapel. Listed in Stell (b1). (Cornwall Council Heritage Gateway)
Non-Conformist. There was a chapel “each belonging to the Methodists and the Baptists. There were also places of worship for Independents, Wesleyan Methodists, and the Society of Friends.” (from the Pigot & Co Cornwall 1844 Directory). The Wesleyan Methodists have chapels at Relubbas, Halamaning, Tregurtha, Kennegy, and Rosudgeon. (Genuki)
1858: Build Date. (Cornwall Council Heritage Gateway)
1904: Became Sunday school when new chapel built. (Cornwall Council Heritage Gateway)
1948: Public meeting regarding sports field held in old chapel. (Cornishman – Thursday 26 February 1948)
Became a pottery.
Rosudgeon Bible Christian Chapel (Photo: Jo Lewis)
A Bible Christian Chapel is recorded on the 2nd Edition 1:2500 OS map c1907. A Church is recorded on the modern Mastermap. (Cornwall Council Heritage Gateway)
1904: Built as a Bible Christian Chapel to replace the older building on Prussia Cove Road.
Built as a Bible Christian Chapel. (SWChurches)
1904: Sketches and notes, foundation stones, Rosudgeon Bible Christian Chapel, St Hilary. (Kresen Kernow MRPL/247)
1907: The Methodist New Connexion, Bible Christians and United Methodist Free Churches amalgamated to become the United Methodist Church.
1907: Became Rosudgeon United Methodist Church. (SWChurches)
1932: The Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist and the United Methodist Church amalgamated to become the Methodist Church of Great Britain.
1932: Became Rosudgeon Methodist Church. (SWChurches)
1940: Seating for 240. (David Easton, Methodist Minister and historian)
1951: Closed. (SWChurches)
Closed in 1951?
22 Apr 1963: Copy of agreement, Sunday School, Rosudgeon Methodist Church, St Hilary. Agreement between Trustees of Rosudgeon Common and chapel trustees concerning Sunday School. (Kresen Kernow MRMB/352) (Possibly relates to the 1858 chapel)
21 Mar 1985-24 Nov 1987: Correspondence, Rosudgeon Methodist Church, St Hilary. Correspondence concerning Sunday School, Rosudgeon Common Trustees and land in front of chapel. (Kresen Kernow MRMB/357) (Possibly relates to the 1858 chapel)
1990: Closed. (David Easton, Methodist Minister and historian) (Probable sale date rather than closure)
1991: Notes of sale.
8 May 1991: Sale of chapel, Rosudgeon Methodist Church, St Hilary. Permission from Methodist Church Property Division to advertise chapel for sale. (Kresen Kernow MRMB/356)
15 Mar 1991-8 Sep 1992: Correspondence, sale of chapel, Rosudgeon Methodist Church, St Hilary. (Kresen Kernow MRMB/360)
Grade 2 listed building.
(Photo: Paul Phillips 2022)