Little Bosullow is a hamlet off the B3312 Madron to Morvah road and, until recently, it was almost self-contained. There are many places of historic interest nearby including Chun Castle and Lanyon Quoit. Madron is a parish one and a half miles north of Penzance. There were four Wesleyan chapels and one Bible Christian chapel…Continue Reading “Mapping Methodism – Little Bosullow Wesleyan Chapel”

Higher Porthmeor is a small settlement on the B3306 between Treen and Morvah in the parish of Zennor. In the past it was an important area for mining and farming. Nowadays, many climbers meet to climb Bosigran cliff, commonly known as Commando Ridge, which is where cliff climbing training took place in WW2. Porthmeor Cove…Continue Reading “Mapping Methodism – Porthmeor Wesleyan Chapel”

Tregavarah is a hamlet off the main road between Alverton and St Just in the parish of Madron. It is situated approximately 2 miles west of Penzance. The name Tregavarah means ‘farm of streams’ and was written without the ‘h’ in early documents. This précis was compiled by Val Thomas with photos by Chris Hawke…Continue Reading “Mapping Methodism – Tregavara/ Tregavarah Wesleyan Chapel”

The Shouters or Trumpeters (probably derogatory nicknames) left Truro Bible Christian movement and built a chapel where indicated on the cover map. This profile has been compiled by Tony Mansell.   1814: Two middle-aged spinsters, the “very pious” Elizabeth and Mary Downe were expelled from Truro Bible Christian services for excessive fervour including shouting and…Continue Reading “Mapping Methodism – Truro Shouters or Trumpeters”

Lemon Wesleyan Chapel (Truro) was built in 1833 and remained in use until 1958. This profile has been compiled by Tony Mansell.   1830: The first Lemon Chapel built as a daughter chapel of St Mary’s Wesleyan Chapel in what was then known as John’s Street (later William Street). 1870: Two classrooms added recently. (Royal Cornwall…Continue Reading “Mapping Methodism – Lemon Wesleyan Chapel – Truro”

The City Mission Wesleyan Chapel, Truro, was located in City Road but, in 1942, moved to Kenwyn Street. This profile has been compiled by Tony Mansell.   Late 19th century: City Mission Wesleyan Chapel in City Road, Truro. 1942: City Mission Methodist Chapel, Truro, in City Road closed and moved to the vacant Primitive Chapel…Continue Reading “Mapping Methodism – City Wesleyan Mission Chapel, Truro”