Pool is a community between Redruth and Camborne. This profile of Pool St Martin’s United Methodist Free Church has been compiled by Jo Lewis and Tony Mansell.
From Wilsons Way, turn into Carn Brea Lane just before the roundabout, follow this road as it turns right and the chapel is on the right.
Free United Methodist chapel built 1862. Now used as commercial premises. Local rubble brought to course, granite dressings; asbestos slate roof replacing probable scantle slate. Simple classical style pedimented front (with lower cornice removed). Round-arched openings to front: central doorway flanked by tall windows. 2-storey side elevations suggesting galleried interior originally. (Cornwall Heritage Gateway)
1862: Build date. (Cornwall Heritage Gateway)
Originally founded as St Martin’s United Methodist Free Church.
1907: The Methodist New Connexion, Bible Christians and United Methodist Free Churches amalgamated to become the United Methodist Church.
1907: Became St Martin’s United Methodist Church.
1907: Pool United Methodist Tea Treat (Photo: courtesy Paul Phillips)
1932: The Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist and the United Methodist Church amalgamated to become the Methodist Church of Great Britain.
1932: Became St Martin’s Methodist Church.
1940: Seating for 300. (David Easton, Methodist Minister and historian)
1976: Closure date according to David Easton, Methodist Minister and historian.
1978: Suffered storm damage.
15 Dec 1977-25 Apr 1978: Correspondence, valuation and sale, Pool St Martin’s Methodist Church, Illogan. With Davies and Co, estate agents and surveyors, 1 West End, Redruth and Miles Exelby, auctioneer and valuer, 6 Bond Street, Redruth. (Kresen Kernow MRCR/356)
1 Mar-2 May 1978: Estimate and account, roof storm damage, Pool St Martin’s Methodist Church, Illogan. From S T Reed, builder and contractor, 29 Chili Road, Illogan Highway, Redruth. (Kresen Kernow MRCR/355)
1974-1978: Correspondence, insurance, closure and sale, St Martins Methodist Church, Pool, Illogan. Correspondence with Methodist Insurance Co Ltd regarding claims and increased cover, 1974-1976 and 1978. Includes papers relating to the closure and sale of the Chapel, 1976-1978. (Kresen Kernow MRCB/346)
1978: Sold to The Dreadnought Centre, a charity working with young people.
Became an activity centre. (David Easton, Methodist Minister and historian)
The Dreadnought Centre (Photo: Jo Lewis)