Mapping Methodism – Creegbrawse Primitive Methodist Chapel

Categories Mapping Methodism, Projects0 Comments

Creegbrawse is a hamlet in west Cornwall, England, United Kingdom. It is situated between the villages of Chacewater and Todpool approximately three miles east of Redruth. This profile of Creegbrawse Primitive Methodist Chapel has been profiled by Jo Lewis and Tony Mansell.

 

From Cox Hill (High Street), take the turn to Creegbrawse, the chapel can be found on the left.

A Primitive Methodist chapel is recorded at this location in Creegbrose on the 1st and 2nd Edition 1:2500 OS Maps. The chapel has been converted to a dwelling named ‘Cinnamon Cottage’ according to the Mastermap and 2005 County Aerial Imagery. (Cornwall Council Interactive Map)

The former Primitive Methodist Chapel at Creegbrawse (Photo: Jo Lewis 2021)

The former Primitive Methodist Chapel at Creegbrawse (Photo: Jo Lewis 2021)

28 Mar 1827: Assignment, site for Methodist chapel, Creegbrawse, Kenwyn. Parties: 1) Charles Oats, miner, of Kenwyn. 2) William Sims, engineer, of Kenwyn. Property: portion of moiety of tenement on Creegbrose [Creegbrawse] Common, formerly in the possession of Benjamin Odgers, deceased, then Charles Oates, deceased and now in the possession of party 1). Portion of land contains a chapel or meeting house, which party 2) has recently erected. [Primitive Methodist chapel?] Consideration: 5 shillings. Annual rent: 8 shillings. Term: 80 years or lives of party 1; Mary Ann Oats, daughter of party 1); and William Hall, son of Thomas Hall of Kea. On dorse of document: 1) undated statement by William Sims that he has transferred his assigned portion to Paul Northey and Christopher Lean. 2) statement by Christopher Northey that he has given up his position as joint assignee and transferred it to Paul Northey, 27 May 1829. (Kresen Kernow MRT/1415)

1827 documents exist noting a recently erected chapel by William Sims (engineer).

1828: Build date. (Plaque)

Creegbrawse Primitive Methodist Chapel (Photo: Barry West)

Built as a Primitive Methodist chapel. (SWChurches)

Seating for 140. (David Easton)

1861: Certificate of registration, Creegbrawse Primitive Methodist Chapel, Kenwyn. Certificate of registration as place of religious worship. (Kresen Kernow MRR/1319)

15th March 1875: Tenancy agreement, Creegbrawse Primitive Methodist Chapel, Kenwyn. Parties: 1) Matthew and Samuel Moyle. 2) Representatives of St Day Primitive Methodist Circuit. Creegbrawse chapel. Rent: £2 10 shillings. (Kresen Kernow MRR/1320)

1893: Lease, moiety of Creegbrawse Primitive Methodist Chapel, Kenwyn. Parties: 1) Matthew Moyle 2) Chapel trustees. Term: 30 years. Rent: £1. (Kresen Kernow MRR/1321)

1923: New organ installed. (West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser – Thursday 18 January 1923)

1924: Certificate of registration, marriages, Creegbrawse Primitive Methodist Chapel, Kenwyn. (Kresen Kernow MRR/1322)

1932: The Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist and the United Methodist Church amalgamated to become the Methodist Church of Great Britain.

1932: The chapel became Creegbrawse Methodist Church. (SWChurches)

1963: closed as a Methodist Chapel. (David Easton)

Congregation joined Cox Hill. (David Easton)

1963 to 1968: Operated as an independent chapel, separate from the Methodist Church. (SWChurches)

1970s: Still marked as a Methodist Church on maps.

(Source West Briton 24th September 1972 / David Philp)

1963 to 1968: Operated as an independent chapel, separate from the Methodist Church. (SWChurches)

1970s: Still marked as a Methodist Church on maps.

1987: “… I visited in 1987. It was a chapel not a private house at that stage and the building had a close association with the Gribble family of Creegbrawse…”

Converted to dwelling. (David Easton)

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.