The Shouters or Trumpeters (probably derogatory nicknames) left Truro Bible Christian movement and built a chapel where indicated on the cover map. This profile has been compiled by Tony Mansell.   1814: Two middle-aged spinsters, the “very pious” Elizabeth and Mary Downe were expelled from Truro Bible Christian services for excessive fervour including shouting and…Continue Reading “Mapping Methodism – Truro Shouters or Trumpeters”

Lemon Wesleyan Chapel (Truro) was built in 1833 and remained in use until 1958. This profile has been compiled by Tony Mansell.   1830: The first Lemon Chapel built as a daughter chapel of St Mary’s Wesleyan Chapel in what was then known as John’s Street (later William Street). 1870: Two classrooms added recently. (Royal Cornwall…Continue Reading “Mapping Methodism – Lemon Wesleyan Chapel – Truro”

The City Mission Wesleyan Chapel, Truro, was located in City Road but, in 1942, moved to Kenwyn Street. This profile has been compiled by Tony Mansell.   Late 19th century: City Mission Wesleyan Chapel in City Road, Truro. 1942: City Mission Methodist Chapel, Truro, in City Road closed and moved to the vacant Primitive Chapel…Continue Reading “Mapping Methodism – City Wesleyan Mission Chapel, Truro”

Truro Methodist New Connexion Chapel was built in 1834 following a split with the Wesleyans. This profile has been compiled by Tony Mansell.   1833: Truro class leaders James Saul & William Scott were expelled by the Wesleyans and about 70 members left with them. Initially met in a rented cellar in Quay Street. Acquired…Continue Reading “Mapping Methodism – Truro Methodist New Connexion Chapel”